Jeffrey D. Hassell
Jeff practiced at GableGotwals for more than 25 years and then became Senior Executive Vice President and General Counsel at The F&M Bank & Trust Company in February 2013. Jeff rejoined GableGotwals in May 2014 after F&M Bank merged with Prosperity Bank.
Jeff’s clients consist primarily of financial institutions, large and small businesses, and individual and corporate trustees, all in business and commercial matters. Relying in part on his experience as a bank general counsel, Jeff provides advice on essentially all aspects of his clients’ businesses, including entity structure, commercial contracts, personnel, executive compensation, shareholder relations, corporate governance, employee benefits, and IPO preparation.
Jeff’s practice includes legal consultation to banks on lending, treasury services, bank regulatory and compliance matters, and bank policy development. He also represents parties to commercial loan documentation and workouts, purchase and sale transactions involving both real and personal property, loan enforcement and foreclosures. Also, various small businesses look to Jeff for general counsel-type services, such as business planning and structure advice, and individuals, corporate trustees, and foundations consult with Jeff on many types of matters.
Jeff has won many honors, including being named as an Oklahoma Super Lawyer in banking and as one of The Best Lawyers in America in banking law, bankruptcy and creditor-debtor rights law and commercial litigation. Jeff is a member of the American Bar Association, American Bankruptcy Institute, Oklahoma Bar Association, Texas Bar Association, and Tulsa County Bar Association. He has also been very involved in a variety of community organizations, including the Rotary Club of Tulsa, Tulsa Symphony Orchestra and Committee of One Hundred – Tulsa.
Jeff’s recent experience includes:
- General Counsel for $2.5 billion bank: prepared for IPO, then merged into another bank on April 1, 2014.
- 14 months as general counsel for a $2.5 billion bank, initially preparing for an IPO and then preparing for and closing the bank merger transaction whereby F&M Bank merged with Prosperity Bank
- Representation of a group of lenders in the workout of a set of loan facilities exceeding $70 million with collateral in several states.
- Representation of the lender who financed the refurbishment of a hotel in San Antonio, Texas in a transaction involving federal historic rehabilitation tax credits.Representation of an oil & gas company borrower in the negotiation and closing of a $100 million credit facility secured by oil & gas properties in other states.
- Representation of ONEOK Partners, L.P. in the negotiation and documentation of its new $1.2 billion unsecured revolving credit facility extended by a group of lenders.
- Representation of a lender who financed the purchase of an aircraft and related equipment and assets.
- Representation of a client in the purchase of the assets comprising a significant part of a fractionation facility in Kansas, along with related equipment. The purchase price was $84 million.
- Representation of ONEOK, Inc. in the negotiation and documentation of its new $1.2 billion unsecured revolving credit facility extended by a group of lenders.
- Representation of the lender to a tribal-related entity in the negotiation and documentation of a loan used to pay off existing debt.
- Representation of the lender in the negotiation and documentation of an $18 million term and revolving loan facility to a local publicly-traded borrower.
- Representation of a group of companies that sold all their assets associated with a wholesale lumber operation, with locations in several states.
- Representation of the agent bank and a group of lenders in the negotiation and documentation of a $20 million domestic revolving credit facility and a $25 million export related revolving credit facility guaranteed in part by the Export-Import Bank of the United States.
J.D., University of Oklahoma College of Law, 1987
~ Order of the Coif
B.B.A. in Finance, University of Oklahoma, 1984
The F&M Bank & Trust Company (Senior Executive Vice President and General Counsel), 2013-14
AWARDS & HONORS
Lawyer of the Year – Tulsa
Banking & Finance Law – 2012
Litigation – Trusts and Estates – 2014
Banking & Finance Law – 2015
Litigation – Banking and Finance – 2016
Litigation – Trusts and Estates – 2016
Banking and Finance Law
Bankruptcy and Creditor Debtor Rights / Insolvency and Reorganization law
Litigation – Banking & Finance
Litigation – Bankruptcy
Litigation – Real Estate
Litigation – Trust & Estates
American Bar Association
American Bankruptcy Institute
Oklahoma Bankers Association
Oklahoma Bar Association
Tulsa County Bar Association