Sheppard F. "Mike" Miers, Jr.
Sheppard F. "Mike" Miers, Jr. has 45 years of legal experience. His clients include corporations, business management and individuals. He assists on tax planning and compliance, employee benefits, deferred compensation, business and financial transactions, estate planning, probate and the administration of estates and trusts. Mike is a Certified Public Accountant in Oklahoma.
Mike is admitted to practice in the Oklahoma Supreme Court, United States Supreme Court; United States Court of Appeals for the Tenth Circuit; United States Tax Court, U.S. Claims Court; and Oklahoma Federal District Courts.
Mike served as the Chair of the Section of Taxation Law of the Oklahoma Bar Association, 1999-2000; and has since served as State Liaison and an at-large Section board member. He served as Chair of the Taxation Committee of the Oklahoma Society of CPAs, 1998-1999, and is a member of the Committee.
He has served as an adjunct professor on the subject of state and local taxation at the University of Tulsa. Mike has regularly spoken on taxation and employee benefits for more than 25 years at seminars and continuing education programs sponsored by the Oklahoma Bar Association, Tulsa County Bar Association, Oklahoma Society of Certified Public Accountant, and Southwest Benefits Association.
Mike has written extensively and published numerous articles and notes in professional periodicals and publications. He has published an explanation of new state tax laws enacted in Oklahoma in The Oklahoma Bar Journal each year from 1998 to the present.
Mike served as an officer and trial attorney in the U. S. Army Judge Advocate General’s Corps, 1966-1970. He was an attorney in the legal division, and Tax Counsel, Cities Service Company, Tulsa, OK, 1970-1982.
Mike's service to civic and charitable organizations include Oklahoma Academy - member 1993-present; Peggy and Charles Stephenson Cancer Center, Board of Advocates, 2010-present; director, Charlene Miers Foundation for Cancer Research, 2009-present; South Creekside Neighborhood Association, Tulsa, director/officer, 1996-present; Tulsa Metro YMCA, Downtown Board of Advisors, 1990-2002.
Mike's publications include:
- Author, Section Note, 2013 Oklahoma Tax Legislation, 84 The Oklahoma Bar Journal 1776 (2013)
- Author, Section Note, New Oklahoma Taxpayer Appeal Procedure, 84 The Oklahoma Bar Journal 1772 (2013)
- Author, The Property Tax Deskbook, 18th Edition, 2013, ABA Section of Taxation, Committee on State and Local Taxes, Oklahoma Chapter
- Co-Author, Do Intangibles Add up To Uncertainties, January/February 2010, CPA Focus
- Author, Legislator and Citizen’s Task Force on Tax Reform Report, 6 Oklahoma Bar Section of Taxation Journal 1, (2002)
- Co-Author, Note, Economic Growth and Tax Relief Reconciliation Act of 2001, 72 Oklahoma Bar Journal 2067 (2001)
- Author, Compromise and Settlement of Oklahoma Tax Assessments, 5 Oklahoma Bar Section of Taxation Journal 1 (2001)
- Author, Tax Incentives for Economic Development in Oklahoma, 65 Oklahoma Bar Journal 3537 (1994)
- Author, The New Voluntary Compliance Resolution Program for Retirement Plans, 7 The Practical Tax Lawyer 31 (Summer 1993)
- Co-Author, Neither a Borrower Nor Lender Be (Unless Exempted by DOL Reg. 2550.408b-1), BNA Tax Management Compensation Planning Journal (January, 1990)
- Author, Retroactive Remedial Amendments and ERISA: The Double Life of Qualified Plans, Journal of Pension Planning and Compliance, (Winter, 1989-90)
- Co-Author, The Division of Pension Benefits in Divorce: You Can Have the Condo and I’ll Take a QDRO, 57 Oklahoma Bar Journal 2601 (1986)
- Author, The Urban Severance Tax: Some Questions as to Apportionment, The University of Tulsa Law Journal (Spring, 1983)